Camera drones have changed the way we look at the world. It has added more oomph to our selfies and wedding photographs and videos are much more iconic than before. Only a decade ago who could have thought that camera equipped drones will be an affordable choice for so many hobbyist out there who love to capture special moments and important events from high above. From aerial photography to aerial videos, camera drones are changing the norms and we love it!
These days camera drones are essential equipment used by professional and amateur filmmakers, however the complexity of the product may vary depending on need. While an amateur filmmaker can do away with a simple camera drone and get good results to post on YouTube, a professional filmmaker would need a drone that is capable of carrying a heavy high-resolution camera. Some of the professional camera drones such as DJI Matrice 600 may cost as much as $4,000, but they are capable of carrying 5-10 lb load.
- If you are into serious film making then apart from ensuring that the drone is capable of carrying a heavy camera, you must also check that the drone includes the following features:
- It should be operated by two people – one who flies the machine to capture the right scenes and the other who directs the camera.
- There must be a custom camera mount that can conveniently hold the video or film camera to get a more steady shot.
- The drone should include six or more propeller lift systems to protect the high end expensive cameras if the motor fails in any case.
- There should be a GPS-based control system and flight planning to be able to properly plan the flight path and execute the shots.
- It should include collision avoidance systems to detect objects that might come in its path. Examples are Yuneec Typhoon H and DJI Phantom 4.
- There should be advanced controls to properly adjust the shutter, aperture and other settings of the drone while it is in flight.
Whether you are a professional or amateur film maker, we would suggest that you get the ready-to-fly (RTF) drones with Camera available in the market. These are by far the best in quality. The RTF drones such as Parrot, DJI, and 3D Robotics have worked on their drawbacks and inconsistencies to give you high quality shots.
How much would a camera drone cost you?
If you are okay to settle with less than 4K video quality then you may choose one of the RTF camera drones that are available for about $500. However if you are seeking high end camera drone that can shoot 4K video quality then you may have to shell out somewhere between $1000 and $2000.The flying cameras include a lot of features such as GPS autopilot, integrated touchscreen, trick camera shots, GoPro ¾, 3-axis professional gimbal, and a flight planning software.
We hope the above information helps you choose a suitable camera drone with the required features to add life to your projects.